Bangladesh Business and Disability Network Charter
Promoting and including persons with disabilities in the workplace is important for companies seeking the best talent and a diverse workforce. Companies that are disability-inclusive provide a better workplace for all their employees. Such companies maximize the full potential of the workforce for the benefit of both the company and its employees and are better positioned to respond to diverse market needs.
As a member of the Bangladesh Business and Disability Network, the signatory organizations support the following principles and commit to work towards their company-wide implementation:
1. Promote and respect the rights of persons with disabilities by raising awareness and combating stigma and stereotypes faced by persons with disabilities.
2. Develop policies and practices that protect persons with disabilities from all types of discrimination.
3. Promote equal treatment and equal opportunities for persons with disabilities by providing reasonable accommodation in the recruitment process, on-the-job, apprenticeships, training, job retention, career development and other relevant terms and conditions of employment.
4. Progressively make the company premises and communication to staff accessible for all employees with disabilities.
5. Undertake appropriate measures to enable current employees who acquire a disability to retain or return to their employment.
6. Respect confidentiality of personal information regarding disability.
7. Consider the needs of those persons with disabilities who face particular challenges accessing the labour market, including persons with intellectual and psychosocial disabilities.
8. Promote employment of persons with disabilities among business partners and other companies and collaborate with national employer and business networks on disability as well as with organizations working to advance the rights of persons with disabilities.
9. Review regularly the company disability inclusion policies and practices for their effectiveness.
10. Report on company efforts to promote the employment of persons with disabilities to all relevant stakeholders and share information and experiences with the members of the Bangladesh Business and Disability Network. The BBDN will utilize the company reports and practices in its own communication, wherever relevant.